Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Day On The Water

Ryan & I got to go crabbing, fishing, & whale watching with Ryan's dad, brother, & sister.

It was so cool pulling up each of the crab pots and seeing how many crabs were in them. We caught a total of 56 crabs but kept 14 of the biggest, and threw all the smaller crabs and females back.

We fished while waiting for all those crabs to crawl into the pots.

Shawn caught a rockfish,
which was a cool-looking
"good" fish.













The rest of us caught nasty, bottom-feeding dogfish. They look like little sharks though and they writhe and squirm a lot on the line. I know because I caught one . . . my first fish ever!

















We also saw several seals hanging out on "Seal Rock." And we ended up idling quite near 2 pods of Orca whales. It was so much more amazing than this picture illustrates. We could hear them coming up on all sides of us as they blew water out of their blowholes. One even jumped out of the water nose first and did a Shamu style breach.

No comments: